This one’s for you Paul!
1 ¾ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
¼ cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon xanthan gum
½ teaspoon salt
1 stick cold butter or margarine
2 large eggs
1/3 cup cold milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Use cooking spray or grease on a baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt. Work in the cold butter until the mixture is crumbly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla until the mixture froths. Add to the dry ingredients, stirring until all ingredients are blended. The batter should be large, thick, and sticky. Fold in the raisins.
- Portion scones into 1 tablespoon of dough, each dropped onto the baking sheet about three inches apart. Let the scones rest for 15 minutes before placing into the oven.
- Sprinkle the scones with sparkling sugar or cinnamon sugar, if desired. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes or so before serving. Best enjoyed warm with butter and jam.
NUTRITIONAL: Calories Per Serving: 295, Total fat: 18.81g, Cholesterol: 194mg, Carbohydrate, by difference: 20.10g, Total dietary fiber: 0.49g, Protein: 8.07g, Total sugars: 5.78g, Sodium: 384mg