I am ALWAYS trying to find healthier versions of desserts and here’s one I especially like. It’s home made jello without the artificial colors, preservatives, and sugar. I follow the below recipe from The Splendid Table, but instead of using fruit juice which is high in sugar, I add flavored stevia drops, (my favorite is grape) and skip the additional sweetener. You just don’t seem to need it with the stevia. But remember all stevia is NOT the same – look for organic with NO added dextrose or other ingredients. Bedsides being bad for you, it tastes bitter. SweetLeaf is the one we recommend.
Full disclosure: It will be clear and not be purple and that’s a little weird initially. I experience the same thing with my root beer (root beer stevia drops and seltzer water), but you get used to it 🙂
- 2 cups fresh or good-quality bottled fruit juice or puree
- 1 envelope (1/4 ounce) unflavored gelatin
- 2 to 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Sugar, honey, maple syrup, or fructose to taste (optional)
- 1. Pour 1/2 cup of the fruit juice into a medium glass bowl or measuring cup and sprinkle the gelatin over it. Let stand for 1 minute.
- 2. In a medium saucepan, bring the remaining 1-1/2 cups fruit juice to a boil. Stir into the gelatin mixture until dissolved. Add the lemon juice and sweetener to taste, if desired. Pour into individual bowls or into one bowl. Let cool, then refrigerate for several hours, until set. You can prepare the “Jell-O” up to 5 days ahead.